"Taste this; it's WEIRD."
In this flat, experimental blending/smoothie making is very common. Thanks to Anders, the people of this flat gets to use a high quality blender.
Trying not to laugh while sipping, because of the way it was introduced, I tested a mixture of carrots and strawberry juice. It lacked something, and Anders was looking for an answer. I thought about it and suggested cinnamon, honey, and cream.
The outcome of that experiment was probably the closest thing that I've had to pumpkin pie, since being in Iceland. Lovely.
This only makes me think of how I'm going to miss Thanksgiving for the first time. And how much I miss my family and all the glory of having a properly stuffed stomach. They know how to cook, my family. Then I think about all the other events and holidays I get to miss, and already have. The recent Virgo birthdays.. so many of them. I miss having Virgos in my life. I believe I know zero Virgos AND ZERO Geminis here, and it's something I'm not used to. On top of that, there is always a language barrier, and I think my communication skills are going downhill because of these things.
Anyways, if this is over your head, then I'm sorry. Since the whole carrot-cinnamon smoothie, this all has just been a series of unintended tangents.
The thing about the smoothies is... this chapter of my life will soon come to an end.
The original and steady cast of roommates--no, friends at Dvergholt 4 was Anders, Mystic, Marine, and I. And since Marine's leave in August, there has been so many changes in such a short time. I've known for quite some time that Anders is leaving in October, but Mystic decided yesterday that it will be both mentally and financially beneficial if he leaves Iceland as soon as possible. (This I will explain eventually, because I understand him on the mental part.) He leaves in ten days, and I am honestly not prepared for this. I can't imagine Iceland without Mystic to joke around with, to dance, to talk about boys or girls with.. it's too sudden. He's like a big brother; he makes us feel safe. I think I'll end up missing him so much, that I might turn to reggae music for comfort.
You might be thinking that I will be left all alone in this flat, but I've been meaning to tell you some other things. Some good things even:
Two weeks ago, a very sweet German girl, by the name of Johanna, moved into Marine's old room. She came at the right time; I needed more girls in my life. Right away, I took her to Hljomalind, my favorite cafe, and we met some other people! It feels so good to have a friend here that I can meet new people with again! Johanna and I make a great team. In the last two weeks, I have added five new numbers in my phone. Thank god! Unfortunately, one of my favorite new friends has already gone back home. This is something I should be used to by now. But the good thing is, I have a better chance at seeing this new friend again since he's from the good ol' USofA.
About three days after Johanna moved in, another girl from Africa moved in! Her name is Marly. She grew up in the Canary Islands and moved to Iceland seven years ago. She speaks Icelandic almost perfectly. I haven't hung out with her as much as I have with Johanna, because she already has family and friends here, but I look forward to getting to know her, if she ever comes home. I haven't seen her in a few days, and she should come back to make more cookies.. hmm. I got her and Johanna hooked on peanut butter, so she made peanut butter cookies, something she nor anybody else has ever tried! Some of you may wonder if I have ever been hooked on peanut butter. Well, I haven't. I mean, I've always appreciated it, but here it's like another comfort food to me. Maybe it's just a phase. I didn't do this when I came here at first.
Speaking of baking things
one has never baked before:
I told Johanna about banana bread the other day, and how nobody knows about it here, despite the vast amount of bananas in everyone's home. I'm serious! I've never eaten so many bananas in my life. In smoothies, oatmeal, on toast with Nutella, etc. Bananas have become an everyday ingredient in my life. But no banana bread until today. This is what I came home to after a hard day's of work. Is that not the sweetest? I had one piece right away, and when Johanna came back from class, we couldn't help ourselves and ate the rest with some tea. Well, this is all I can write for tonight. It's late, and I have work in the morning. Thank God it's Friday. Whoof... I feel like I just said that yesterday. My, time flies. Mystic and I were wondering where the hell August went the other day.
Love is All,
Katie
2 comments:
OH maaaan, I love banana bread.
Have you ever heard of www.couchsurfing.com ? It's an awesome website- you sign up and post that you are either looking for places to stay or offer up your place for guests to stay (or both)... You should definitely join if you haven't already. Just out of curiosity right now I looked up couchsurfers in Iceland, and there were 300-some results of 20 and 30 year olds all over Iceland... could also be another way to make some local friends.
It's a fun website. I haven't used it formally for hosting or surfing yet even though I've been a member over a year.. But hopefully soon, like maybe over Christmas break or next summer??? :)
What website did you use to find your aupair job? I am thinking about doing it when I graduate in May.
I do wish you would write more here, Katie, though I understand that it's probably hard to find the time. I just wonder so much!!!
Post a Comment