First of all, as you saw on my last post, whenever that was, in the middle of October, more towards the end, that my friend Alana from Wichita, Kansas visited me! She was here for ten days, and I have no idea where to start. Well, shoot. There is too much to write about and too many pictures to upload on the subject of Alana's time here in Iceland. Especially since at the same time, it was CT's, Matthew's, and TOMOYO'S time in Iceland. Yeah! Tomoyo(Tommy), one of my best friends, came from Japan and her and her friend stopped by Iceland for a few days before going to Norway/rest of the world.
Really, though. As awesome as October was, I can't think of what to say about it at the moment.. other than it was really great. Sorry. Next post. Promise: full of awesome pictures. Did I just say that in my last post? Don't look into that.
The reason why I can't fall asleep is because of today. Good God, it's TODAY! This campaign has been going on for forever. I am so nervous and excited!
But also nervous.
It was a tedious and frustrating process getting my absentee ballot in last week. (Start rant!)
I didn't have internet for a few days, had to go to the library and print out my application, go to my friend's hotel to fax that off, call the embassy, get to the library again to print out the ballot, called the embassy about the envelope thing, went to the embassy... It was hell. I am so disappointed about the U.S. Embassy here in Reykjavik. I was expecting to walk in and befriend all the nice American people, feel at home... isn't it supposed to be like that? It was as strict as airport security! And I didn't get to talk to any Americans! There was a guard outside who told me that I am supposed to have an appointment, even though the lady on the phone said I could just drop by. I waited outside in the freezing weather for ten minutes before getting inside and talking to another guard and giving him all my belongings to be ex-rayed. I finally got out of there after an hour. I waited extra long, because I asked them for the phone number to the Fed Ex place, which ended up being in another town, not Reykjavik. I was already taking time off my workday, but this was the last step I needed to take. I told my boss, and he thankfully understood. I went for a drive, found the place, and ended up Fed Exing it, which was a little pricey, but (big 'but' -ends rant)
I never felt more patriotic than that moment of sending in my vote! I kissed the envelope for luck, as I do with everything I send off, but this time, the woman behind the desk and some others saw me do it. I explained that it was my tradition, and she smiled with blue gleaming eyes. She knew.
However, these things have a lame way of getting rigged.
I've been thinking of a back up plan. If the guy I DID NOT vote for wins, then I might move back home. It will be too embarrassing for me to live abroad. Enough people ride me about being American. Mostly for things I have no affiliation with and zero support for, like the Bush Administration or McDonald's. It's just annoying.
So, if all goes wrong.. and I come back, I won't be in Kansas for longer than a month. Then I will go to Colorado and hope that my brother and Uncle Chris will be down for being ski bums and alcoholics at least for a week or two. Cool with you two? I will even pay for the drinks. Okay, maybe for just a weekend. But I'm still serious about the ski bum thing for the winter. I feel like I can now endure the coldest weather.
Can things get rigged at this point? Hopefully there will be too much opposition for that kind of nonsense this time.. right? I have no idea. I feel so helpless over here. Not that I could do anything about that over there, but, you know, paranoia, is all,,,
I should go to sleep.
COMING SOON...

(a teaser for next post) (seriouslyyy)
Love, love, etc, etc,
KT
But also nervous.
It was a tedious and frustrating process getting my absentee ballot in last week. (Start rant!)
I didn't have internet for a few days, had to go to the library and print out my application, go to my friend's hotel to fax that off, call the embassy, get to the library again to print out the ballot, called the embassy about the envelope thing, went to the embassy... It was hell. I am so disappointed about the U.S. Embassy here in Reykjavik. I was expecting to walk in and befriend all the nice American people, feel at home... isn't it supposed to be like that? It was as strict as airport security! And I didn't get to talk to any Americans! There was a guard outside who told me that I am supposed to have an appointment, even though the lady on the phone said I could just drop by. I waited outside in the freezing weather for ten minutes before getting inside and talking to another guard and giving him all my belongings to be ex-rayed. I finally got out of there after an hour. I waited extra long, because I asked them for the phone number to the Fed Ex place, which ended up being in another town, not Reykjavik. I was already taking time off my workday, but this was the last step I needed to take. I told my boss, and he thankfully understood. I went for a drive, found the place, and ended up Fed Exing it, which was a little pricey, but (big 'but' -ends rant)
I never felt more patriotic than that moment of sending in my vote! I kissed the envelope for luck, as I do with everything I send off, but this time, the woman behind the desk and some others saw me do it. I explained that it was my tradition, and she smiled with blue gleaming eyes. She knew.
However, these things have a lame way of getting rigged.
I've been thinking of a back up plan. If the guy I DID NOT vote for wins, then I might move back home. It will be too embarrassing for me to live abroad. Enough people ride me about being American. Mostly for things I have no affiliation with and zero support for, like the Bush Administration or McDonald's. It's just annoying.
So, if all goes wrong.. and I come back, I won't be in Kansas for longer than a month. Then I will go to Colorado and hope that my brother and Uncle Chris will be down for being ski bums and alcoholics at least for a week or two. Cool with you two? I will even pay for the drinks. Okay, maybe for just a weekend. But I'm still serious about the ski bum thing for the winter. I feel like I can now endure the coldest weather.
Can things get rigged at this point? Hopefully there will be too much opposition for that kind of nonsense this time.. right? I have no idea. I feel so helpless over here. Not that I could do anything about that over there, but, you know, paranoia, is all,,,
I should go to sleep.
COMING SOON...

(a teaser for next post) (seriouslyyy)
Love, love, etc, etc,
KT
1 comment:
it was great spending time with you in the land of the ice princesses.
Post a Comment