Saturday, August 16, 2008

Major Update Part One

I know. It's been long. I am so sorry. Life has either been just too fun, too laborious, too busy, or too relaxed. However, my trusty blog readers, dear friends, I have updated pictures on my Myspace AND Flickr account, which probably doesn’t help a lot of you. You are shaking your heads. Right. I kind of hate having all of these online accounts but I can’t seem to drop one. Having them allow me to keep in touch with friends from all over the world, and all of those friends might not have a Myspace, but have a Facebook, etc. For that, I’m truly grateful for each communication network.
I guess I just wish there was a way to upload pictures on all of these accounts at the same time. It’s time consuming.


Okay, let me backtrack now. You need stories.

Okay.

First of all, you should know that Marine, the cutest French girl, my coworker, my roommate, and my best friend here in Iceland, is leaving tomorrow. Which means I am going to have a very hard time, and maybe you should think about sending condolences.
She has to go back to the university, but also, she's leaving earlier than planned, because she dislikes the family THAT much. The family gets back from their vacation in a few days, and she wanted to leave after we finnish our assigned duties and before they get back. Which means, this week was jam-packed full of cleaning and yard work. I've washed my hands over twenty times, and they still look like this. Stained with dirt.


This post is dedicated to Marine. 


This post will sum up the last few weeks of her stay. 


During the same week of what the last post was about, the last days of July, we traveled north along the coast of the Snæfellsnes peninsula.

We traveled to a town called Ólafsvík.


We wandered by the shore, 


and found a church above Ólafsvík. You can see the glacier in the background. 


Behind the church was this strange graveyard with kitschy statues, etc. 



And then we went up the mountains towards the glacier. The drive was difficult for our car, but the view was worth it. 



Again, I got to happily romp around on moss. This moss was bright green.



Here's some glacier water, very cold, very pure. The other pictures I have of the glacier just look like snow, and the sun set behind the mountains, so the lighting was not complimentary.


This is me glacier surfing. I did this for about 20 ft. 


Coming down the mountain, we came across some Icelandic sheep. They like to play hard to get. I just want to pet one. I miss petting animals. 





Anyways, that was that day. I have a lot of days to fill you guys in on, but I've got to go now, and celebrate Marine's last night in Iceland!

2 comments:

b1Maria said...

I feel sad for you that Marine is leaving. You can make any situation bright, so I have faith that you will have a great time!

Tony said...

you know, you're killing that moss.